i can watch but not take part where i end and where you start - an attempt to run a study blog

Monday, May 15

Who am I? ...Im DoubtWoman!

Sorta big presentation tomorrow. We've been evaluating a machine translation system, and now Im supposed to stand there and tell them "our results". Its not as advanced as I want to make it out to be, and my only problem, besides "our results" being just as fuzzy it sounds, is the conflict of identity I meet everytime I have to do something like this.

Do I focus on reading up, preparing for questions that will surely come, rehearse the presentation in my head? Do I, like the athletes, visualise myself holding the best damn presentation ever? No. What do I do? I paint nails, do hair, pick out clothes, check the weather like a crazy person and breathe. Who am I? Im Doubtwoman.

See, in situations like this, interviews and what nots, Im pretty confident in me.
Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but Im good at bullshitting, using what I do know and ad-libing. False sense of security? Of course. But you know, so far so good, ne?
What I doubt is how I look. Always. So Im thinking why not beat that down first.

So here I am, curlers in my hair, nailpolish-smelling apartment, red wine on my desk, listening to Bowies 'Young americans'. Aaaallright.

6 comments:

Naru said...

Hope you made it ok. ringer dig senare idag...
jag är så stressad att jag hade världens yrsel igår, men jag är ok.
Jättebra att snart är det ledigt!!!
kraaam

ed said...

yrsel's bad, mmkay? coolio with vacation and all, you deserve it.

ogma said...

fucking HELL mate, have you been taking english classes? you sound like a completely native speaker. Also: hi. hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi could do this for hours but you get the point. love you.

ed said...

Oh oh oh! Am I happy to see you again! (you know, the sarcasm was kinda unnecessary, but Im going to let that one slide seeing how youre ALIVE and HERE and everything)
On a completely different note; why is the "e" key always broken on school-puters? I mean, noone says "email" anymore, do they?

ogma said...

but I really meant it! that was an honest compliment, my love. and: I am happy to see you again, too.

ed said...

oh. defense was up high that day, huh?

Blog Archive